Sault College is now offering new, tuition-free, Skills for Success, micro-credentials for newcomers. There will be three skills-based micro-credentials available:
Each micro-credential program contains a Learn, Practice, and Apply section, with three virtual simulations as well as case studies, case-based exercises, and role plays. Each micro-credential is up to 20-hours in length and is fully asynchronous - meaning that you do not need to log in at a specific time. Each micro-credential has an assessment at the beginning. If you are successful with the assessment, you will pass the micro-credential. If you are not successful with the assessment, you will be required to complete the course in full.
By participating in this program, newcomers will:
- Benefit from a series of free micro-credential programs on Communication, Collaboration, and/or Adaptability
- Have the opportunity to enhance their skills in all three of these areas
- Be better prepared to meet on-the-job skill demands in the Canadian workplace
- Be better prepared to connect/transfer skills and knowledge from your international work experience to the Canadian labour market
- Receive a micro-certificate upon successful completion of the program
These courses have been funded through the Government of Canada’s Skills for Success program in partnership with Colleges and Institutes Canada.
Who Can Apply?
You are eligible if you meet ALL the following criteria, including:
1. Being a newcomer to Canada. A newcomer is defined as a citizen, refugee, or permanent resident who has been living in Canada for less than 5 years. Those who have received an invitation for permanent residency or citizenship but have not arrived yet in Canada are eligible to participate.
2. Be at least 18 years old.
3. Be legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
International students or those on work visas are not eligible to participate.
Students are recommended to have:
- A CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) of at least 6+
- Minimum high school education or equivalent
- Access to a computer or laptop and reliable internet
- If you do not have this at home, you are welcome to come to Sault College to access technology
- Some relevant work experience, in any industry, either international or Canadian
- Basic digital skills
- Specifically, students will need to be able to independently navigate new digital environments, such as the Learning Management System
Are there any other options for micro-credential training?
YES! Click here to visit the Sault College Micro-Credential library to see what else is available.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to have work experience in a specific industry?
It is recommended that you have some relevant work experience, in any industry, either international or Canadian.
- How do I register?
You will need to complete the form below. Once the form has been received and reviewed, you will be contacted to confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria and have been enrolled in the micro-credential courses.
- How many micro-credential courses can I take?
You can take part in one or more micro-credential(s) of your choice. There are 3 micro-credentials available to take and each micro-credential is 20 hours long.
- Do I have to attend any classes at a certain time?
No, the micro-credentials will be fully online and asynchronous. You can take them at any time, from anywhere.
- How do I login to the course?
Once registered, you will get an email with login details and instructions.
- What if I don’t have access to a computer or internet?
You will be able to come to the Sault College campus and use a computer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Basic digital skills (e.g., keyboarding, accessing the internet, using an online Learning Management System) are recommended.
- Who can I contact if I need help?
You are encouraged to contact the staff in Continuing Education if you need help. Email email@example.com or call 705-759-2554 ext. 2430.
- Will I earn a certificate if I successfully complete one of the micro-credential courses?
Yes, upon successful completion of any of the micro-credentials, you will receive a micro-certificate that verifies your skills.
Are you ready to join us?
Fill out the Skills Enhancement for Newcomers Application Form below.