The Construction Techniques program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue employment in the construction sector after only 8 months.
Learn how to build and perform basic carpentry work, work safely on construction sites, perform concrete and form work, conduct surveys and estimates, and even how to create lay-outs and read blueprints. As an option, you may succeed in securing an apprenticeship after graduating from the program and be able to reinforce and expand on the skills you have learned through hands-on experiences alongside a qualified tradesperson.
Requirements & Program Information
Graduates of this certificate program can work in entry-level positions in almost every sector of the construction industry. They can be employed on a project-by-project basis or work for a construction company. Small, medium and large companies, unionized and non-unionized, all employ construction/carpentry workers on a variety of projects in the residential, commercial and industrial sectors.
- Frame residential houses
- Perform renovation and maintenance carpentry
- Install roofing, insulation and exterior siding
- Read blueprints
- Prepare, excavate, backfill, compact and clean up work sites
- Load and unload construction materials, move materials to work areas
- Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks, shoring and barricades required at construction sites
- Mix, pour and spread materials such as concrete and asphalt
- Level earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel
- Assist in demolishing buildings using prying bars and other tools and sort, clean and pile salvaged materials
- Remove rubble and other debris at construction sites using rakes, shovels, wheel barrows and other equipment
- Operate pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as directed
- Tend or feed machines or equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors and pumps
- May find apprenticeships in trades such as carpentry, bricklaying, cement finishing, roofing and glazing.
Fees & Costs
These fees are for the 2023-2024 academic year (year 1 of study), and are subject to change. Please visit your Student Portal to view your Schedule of Fees.